Dear Abbot Martin
I am extremely disappointed that you have refused to meet me, and have taken four weeks even to summon up the courtesy to make any response to my requests – two requests by email and two phone calls.
There were two matters that I wished to discuss with you in your role as chairman of governors concerning child protection issues at St Benedict’s School.
The first matter I wished to discuss is the “independent review” you announced in your press statement and in your letter to parents. I have the following questions regarding this review:
- Who will conduct it?
- On what date will they start? (or have started if the review is already underway)
- What are the terms of reference of the review?
- Will the school and abbey make all records available on request to the persons conducting the review?
- Can victims or their families make direct contact with the people conducting the review in order to give evidence? If so, how should they do this?
- When is it expected that the review will be concluded?
- To whom will the report be provided?
- Will the report be made available to the public?
- Will the Abbey and the school act on the recommendations of the review?